ive got a feeling people are going to come at me for the last post. whatever
In fact, The Boxtrolls has nothing to do with trans* people at all,
Allow me to explain.
The villain of the story is a man named Snatcher, and he is after a “white hat”, the province of those belonging to a group - The White Hats, which Snatcher wants to be a part of. They’re rich, influential, and powerful.
In order to achieve this, Snatcher makes The Boxtrolls out to be horrifiying villains, which he promises he will exterminate in exchange for a white hat. Part of his plan is dressing in drag, as Madame Frou Frou.
The townspeople love Madame Frou Frou and Snatcher uses this disguise to put on plays in which he furthers his design to paint Boxtrolls as a menace to their society.
Let me say that again - Snatcher, A MAN, dresses in DRAG.
Snatcher is not transgender, Snatcher is man. Snatcher is dressing a drag. Snatcher is a man in a dress. The movie makes no allusions to him being a woman or dressing as a woman as a way to show who he really is, it is purely a way for him to get the town on his side to further his plans.
the author of the post which has a copious amount of notes at this point also has some interesting (and incorrect) things to say:
"Finally, when all of the white hats and the whole village realises Madame Frou Frou’s disguise, the main white hat man (and many of the other characters) shudder and the white hat man says something like, “Oh, I regret SO MUCH right now.” Which is your basic HILARIOUS transmisogynist joke about how trans women are tricking peope into sleeping with them. AWESOME."
Snatcher is a man. Snatcher is not a trans women. It has nothing to do with trans people at all.
"I get that Archibald is not a trans woman. But the problem is that when you reinforce the idea that seeing someone you think is a man in a dress is a JOKE is a LIAR is a VILLAIN, you are reinforcing the idea that keeps trans women from getting jobs, from getting help and contributing to what leads people to beat and harass them - and murder them."
And here we see that OP clearly has no idea how drag works. Drag is campy. Drag is funny. DRAG IS NOT INHERENTLY TRANS. Although yes, I would like to acknowledge that there are trans* women who do drag or have done drag (Carmen Carrera), Drag is NOT BEING TRANS GENDERED.
'EDIT 7: I’m going to reiterate this again here, since apparently some people insist on being ignorant.
I AM NOT SAYING THIS CHARACTER IS TRANS.
A character doesn’t have to be a trans to be transmisogynistic. It’s not just about one character cross dressing - it’s about using cross dressing as a means of making a joke or communicating the message that “cross dressing” is someone lying about who they are. Perpetuating the idea of cross dressing = funny/villainous/lying creates real problems in the lives of trans people, usually trans women.. The character of Madame Frou Frou is used to illustrate how oblivious the white hats and all the adults are in the town. The joke is that it’s obvious that Madame Frou Frou is a man, but they’re so oblivious, they don’t get it.”
OP once again shows how little they understand about this issue. Yes, a character does have to be trans* for it to be trans misogynistic.
Trans* people are NOT CROSS DRESSING. LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN:
TRANS PEOPLE ARE NOT CROSS DRESSING !!!!!!
This is a man in a dress.
This OP being ignorant while calling other ignorant. Drag is not trans*. Drag is drag.
Ive seen several posts about the ebola virus today.. and a lot of misunderstanding, fearmongering, and ignorance about what’s going on, so I decided to look into it myself
for one thing,
- the reported case in Dallas was a man traveling from Liberia to Dallas, because Ebola is not contagious until symptoms appear, there is no way that he could have transmitted the disease to people on the plane, as he was examined leaving Liberia and had no fever
- Ebola is NOT airborne. Ebola is transmitted through direct contact between humans , through broken skin and bodily fluids. Blood, semen, and other secretions. You cannot catch ebola just by being around someone who has it, you would need to have more than physical contact. And most experts believe it is unlikely to mutate and become airborne.
- To quote Thomas Frieden, the CDC director, "This is the first case of Ebola diagnosed in the U.S. and the first strain of this Ebola diagnosed outside of Africa," Frieden said. "I have no doubt that we will control this case of Ebola so that it does not spread widely in this country. It is certainly possible that someone who has had contact with this patient could develop Ebola, but there is no doubt in my mind that we will stop it here."
- It is currently unknown if he has infected others, but the center for disease control is tracing his contacts. The patient himself is isolation.
- At this point, it looks as though no one in the medical field is fearing an Ebola outbreak in the United States
What do you call the security guards outside Samsung shops?
Guardians of the Galaxy
basically my life can be summed up in alternating periods of Linda Belcher’s “Alriiiiight!” and Bob Belcher’s “Oh my god”
im ok w spending $40 on food but wont buy a $40 shirt